Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of =BB= Bot Busters =BB= on your social bookmarking website

Should we get Hook Mod and/or NeoTF?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Should we get Hook Mod and NeoTF?

43% 43% 
[ 3 ]
14% 14% 
[ 1 ]
29% 29% 
[ 2 ]
14% 14% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 7

Should we get Hook Mod and/or NeoTF?

Post by Amaroq_Dricaldari on Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:20 pm

During the server's downtime, I decided to play on some other servers, and I came across NeoTF and Hook Mod. For those not familiar with the two, NeoTF adds a ton of new features to the game that could make it a lot more fun, most importantly the "buildspecial" function. Each class has "special" that they can build. Medics get healpods, Engies get Multiguns, Spies can call airstrikes, Soldiers can launch helicopters, the list goes on.

The thing that intrigues me the most about NeoTF is the Multigun system. When you build a Multigun, it is inert initially. But if a teammate touches it, then depending on what class they are, the Multigun will take on different properties. If an enemy touches it on the otherhand, then the Multigun is "captured" and will turn on it's creator.

- - -

Hook mod on the otherhand is a very fun addition that can breathe new life into any server; If you bind a key to +hook (I have it bound to Mouse3), then pressing the key will fire a bolt which will pull you towards whatever you are aiming at... and it will do so at incredible velocity (even Heavies can get around maps quickly through this method.)

Another thing I like about the Hook mod is that it is easy to learn, but difficult to master. Anybody can learn the basics, but you need to have been at it for a long time to know how to properly utilize things like momentum. The best part though; the bots don't know how to use it. The Hook mod may put us at a much-needed advantage.
Amaroq_Dricaldari

https://sfw.furaffinity.net/user/amaroqdricaldari

Back to top Go down

Re: Should we get Hook Mod and/or NeoTF?

Post by Easykill on Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:20 am

Giving people the hook for a while would be interesting to see.
I would think adding even the simplest mod entails risk though, as you are never sure whether there will be unpleasant side effects or something will break.  

I think neotf would be a major change that would really require a different server. I would think it would have to be extensively tested and would radically alter the play balance.  All of the tweaking over the years, as well as the waypointing, would probably require major overhaul. I don't know whether it was considered in the past or the level of knowledge about how the bots do or don't handle it.   It could be very disruptive to a long established server and could really divide what remains of the small community we have.
It would be an interesting experiment but I could only see it as a side project/server.

Easykill
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaroq_Dricaldari on Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:23 am

Yeah, my poll is already set up to have NeoTF on a separate server.
Amaroq_Dricaldari

Back to top Go down

Post by OmniDragon on Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:09 pm

Yeah, I've poked around on my home desktop with NeoTF. It's actually quit fun, but I agree with easy. It should be a separate / project server for that...
OmniDragon
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bakedbean on Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:20 pm

NeoTF has been around since 2002 -2003 and has not been in development since at least 2006 and Foxbots have had neotf ability's programmed in towards the end of there development .
So there should be no problems using the mod with bots. And the hook mod would not cause any issue. Its just used for meatbots  Very Happy 
bakedbean

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaroq_Dricaldari on Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:53 am

Wait, judging by what you just said, the bots would know how to use the NeoTF stuff?
Amaroq_Dricaldari

Back to top Go down

Post by Easykill on Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:26 am

The server is not using the latest version of foxbot. Do you know which versions that requires bakedbean?

Easykill
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bakedbean on Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:43 pm

Easykill wrote:The server is not using the latest version of foxbot. Do you know which versions that requires bakedbean?

I think 0.695 was the start in 2004.

Edit: I see the server runs 0.701 so neo-tf should work just fine

I have 0.77 for windows and linux from 2010 when updated them last by DrEvil over at omni-bot.com
bakedbean

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruno29625 on Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:02 pm

how about a SEPERATE donation for a seperate server ? ..... when we get donations that would cover a years of service than we could try it, IF everything (bots, waypoints, etc) works out ..... just a thought
 shit toliet Demo Pyro 
Bruno29625
Admin
Admin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at8XN8qtG50

Back to top Go down

Post by Easykill on Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:14 pm

Bruno29625 wrote:how about a SEPERATE donation for a seperate server ? ..... when we get donations that would cover a years of service than we could try it, IF everything (bots, waypoints, etc) works out ..... just a thought
 shit toliet Demo Pyro 

Sounds good though I think, for a test server, requiring a years worth of donations won't work. Perhaps 3-6 months, which on xenon would be a $60-120 investment.

I do worry though about splitting the small community we have. Some will like it. Presumably many of the long time regulars won't. Those who are bored and want something different have moved on to other games long ago. Most that remain don't seem to feel any need for change. I would hate to see 2 underfunded servers with only a few people on each server the majority of the time. Given how small the community is I think this is a real danger and should be discussed more fully. I would also note, though it isn't exactly comparable, that there was the fortress forever server which didn't generate enough interest to maintain it. So I have mixed feelings.

Easykill
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaroq_Dricaldari on Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:23 pm

Well, is there any way to host a server at reduced cost? Like, set up a powerful rig and a few VMs?
Amaroq_Dricaldari

Back to top Go down

Post by Easykill on Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:29 pm

xenon is probably the lowest cost option

Easykill
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaroq_Dricaldari on Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:45 pm

Well, the reason I suggested a powerful rig with some VMs on it is because GoldSource games are not very demanding on resources compared to many other games these days, and with VMs you could simulate having multiple computers requiring only a small portion of the resources available in order to run a dedicated server, and the resources they would pull from would be the main server.

TL-DR: It would theoretically be like having multiple servers up for the upkeep cost of only one server.

Just a thought.
Amaroq_Dricaldari

Back to top Go down

Post by OmniDragon on Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:34 am

I have my doubts about splitting our already tiny group up into two servers. One would probably go by the wayside.

And the problem with hosting at home isn't a machine problem. I have an i7 with 16gb of ram, WAY more than a TFC server would ever need. The problem is internet upload speed... People just can't connect to a server that has a slow upload speed.
OmniDragon
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Easykill on Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:56 am

What about the hook mod omni? Do you think it could be an variation on bruno's fun night with it only active on certain days? Would you be uncomfortable adding another mod to the server?

Easykill
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ouch on Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:23 pm

I agree with you Bruno.
Ouch
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nimda on Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:49 am

Hook mode is fun... but like many of you.. I think it would be great once in a while. Constant hook mode keeps you from developing and maintaining skills in nade jumping, etc...it's kind of a fun crutch.

I play neo once in a while...but as an "old timer" I'm not that fond of it.

I too would worry about trying to maintain and populate 2 servers... we just might have trouble keeping enough players on either, and the attraction to play on our server(s) would fade. BB has a great core group of players in this declining game...it's a real oasis.. I hope it continues for a long time.
Nimda

Back to top Go down

Post by OmniDragon on Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:56 pm

Yeah, I'll look into how easy it is to install / shut off and on.. It would be pretty cool to be able to have an admin enable or disable it depending on the map and players at the time (Talking about hook here). So maybe we could do like Saturday Hooks or something lol.
OmniDragon
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaroq_Dricaldari on Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:33 pm

I can't wait for this to be implemented. On the EVIL server, there is a vote_hook function.
Amaroq_Dricaldari

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivanthegreat on Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:08 am

I hate neoTF, please don't ever run that mod. However, hooks could be useful to get up in weird places and make teles and build stuff up there. As long as the bots can't use hooks also! That would be chaos.

Ivanthegreat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum