Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of =BB= Bot Busters =BB= on your social bookmarking website

waypointing help thread

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: waypointing help thread

Post by Wampa on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:42 pm

Do detpacks require scripts in order for the demoman to gtfo once he sets it? I've tried creating a loop of 1-way waypoints hoping he'd set the det and then move on, but he wants to continue travelling forward to the other side of the wall so he never takes the loop, just instead stands there and gets blasted to infinity, thus never opening the hole.

i have a kickass map ready aside from this one issue.

Wampa

Back to top Go down

Post by Easykill on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:22 am

You shouldn't need a script to make him leave the area when he sets it. You will need a script though to keep the bots from trying to use the path through the wall all the time regardless of whether the wall is down or not.

How crucial is the wall entrance to the map play? If it was left out would it seriously degrade play?

As far as getting him to leave the area have you tried setting the det point off the main path? In other words set up the path between the outside and inside point and then set up a waypoint off the outside point to the det point, so it is not attached to the inside but is a dead end stub path ending at the det point. Then he should run up the stub path, set the det, and backtrack.

Easykill
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wampa on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:46 pm

The stub did the trick! Very Happy

Not that I would have been able to script it anyways but this map hasn't got a trigger to call out when the hole is blown anyways. It gets a little silly since the demoman will occasionally come back and reblow the hole LOL and fill it in, but he eventually comes back and opens it up. I think it would have degraded the map quite a bit as there's really only one front way into base without it. I realllly think (and hope) people are gonna like this map, it's a ton of fun.

Wampa

Back to top Go down

Post by Wampa on Tue May 14, 2013 5:42 pm

It's me again. Razz

General questions first -

- It is safe to say that the system is not flawless, correct? I approach waypointing from the perspective of the bots main directive, thinking like a bot, if you will. That means I have a path i can run on, i know where the flag is and i take the most direct route from wherever i am to get there(or return/cap when i have the flag). So if you have a waypoint split off into a "T", i see the bots always going left or right. Never splitting it up. I assume this is because they go to the closest waypoint after the split. Therefore, is that other direction - the one they're not taking, useless? I realize it can be used as a returning waypoint so i need to have it 2-way, but the bots will never just randomly split it up. Confirmed?

On that note of the system having it's oddities; - Why will bots sometimes come to an intersection of two waypoints and start returning to their base rather than continue towards the flag? If i have two 2-way paths come together and continue forward into the enemy base but I am seeing them get to that intersection and then take the other path back instead of continuing on. Any ideas? I was wondering if they're just going to the next closest waypoint but that would contradict their prime directive of taking the most direct route to the flag. This issue may be map specific and has to do with how i've set it up (might have just answered my own question).

- Why do I see bots sometimes run backwards from one point to another? If i have A->B->C->D and they're running face forward from A to B but then run backwards from B to C, then run forward again from C to D, is this due to a direction I am facing when i create the waypoint? Or perhaps the order in which I connect the waypoints?

- Do you ever have a defender, sniper, soldier, hw and demo, not face the way you'd swear you were facing when you set them up to defend an area? Should i just remove it and keep rotating until i see them face the direction i want them to?

That's all i got for now. Thanks in advance for any help!

Wampa

Back to top Go down

Post by Easykill on Tue May 14, 2013 8:35 pm

Wampa wrote:

- It is safe to say that the system is not flawless, correct? I approach waypointing from the perspective of the bots main directive, thinking like a bot, if you will. That means I have a path i can run on, i know where the flag is and i take the most direct route from wherever i am to get there(or return/cap when i have the flag). So if you have a waypoint split off into a "T", i see the bots always going left or right. Never splitting it up. I assume this is because they go to the closest waypoint after the split. Therefore, is that other direction - the one they're not taking, useless? I realize it can be used as a returning waypoint so i need to have it 2-way, but the bots will never just randomly split it up. Confirmed?

They are designed to generally take the shortest route to the task that each bot has prioritized. When you are watching them run the blue lines showing from them is their prioritized task and the green lines give guides to the waypoint pathing that they are calculating. There is no way, that I know of, to make a percentage of bots prefer a path with a split like that. I would decide which way is the most useful/gives the best coverage for the bots.

Another option if you want to cover both areas would be to use one as the way in and another as the way out by making the legs from the t one way (one from the t and the other TO the t).

edit: I thought I hit reply with quote but I seem to have edited this post. Sorry about that.

Last edited by Easykill on Thu May 16, 2013 4:11 pm; edited 2 times in total

Easykill
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wampa on Wed May 15, 2013 4:41 pm

Thanks for the feedback! It's going to good use. Smile

Wampa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content